1

Wednesday 9 January 2013

An Infinite Scream passing through Nature

“I was walking along a path with two friends – the sun was setting – suddenly the sky turned blood red – I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence – there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city – my friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety – and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature.”
Edward Munch, 1893, quoted here

Araucaria Tree via I'm Revolting


Ernst Haeckel - Siphonophorae - Kunstformen der Natur - 1899/1904


H.P. Berlage - Crown for an Electric Light - Date Unknown - NAI Collection


"The first language of mankind, the most universal and vivid, in a word the only language man needed, before he had occasion to exert his eloquence to persuade assembled multitudes, was the simple cry of nature."
Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Discourse on the Origin and Basis of Inequality Among Men, 1754